Friday, September 26, 2008

Bye Bye Ba!



I'm one of those people who used to say things like, I'll NEVER let my child have a paci! I'll never let my child watch a movie in the van. I'll never let my children get those crusty boogers under their noses. I'll never....whatever never is to you. You see what I'm saying. Well, then I had children and all those nevers came back to bite me in the bahonkus! So now I try to never say never (hee hee). You know the scripture...judge not lest you be judged with the same measure.


Man, I learned that the hard way. Both of my kids had pacis. Shoot, Josie had hers the first night we got home from the hospital. I think I had the Dr. sticking one in Jake's mouth before he laid him on my tummy to hold!


Then there's the dvd in the car thing. That lasted a while. I tried to hold out on that one. But, low and behold that treasured possession appears on every long road trip!


Ugh, and those boogers. You know the ones where it's like a white ashy snot puddle right under both nostrils. I was the worst judger of this one. When I saw children like this I'd think to myself, "Please woman, wipe that child's nose. That's disgusting!!!" Can't you hear the I know it all tone in my voice? NOW I know why she didn't. It's like a beaver's dam. It holds all the other runny stuff back. Genius, I tell you, sheer genius!


On to my blog title...Bye bye Ba. Jake has named his paci "ba." Oh, and does he ever love that ba! We were going to take it when he was one....but were too scared. Jake's very capable of some long long long long crying spells. We just weren't ready. Then it was 18 months. We did take it but gave it back because he got scheduled for his winkie surgery. What kind of mama would take his favorite thing before his other "thing" got wounded? Then it was next month or this weekend or tomorrow! So here we are with a boy who says, "Ba now" all the time. Tonight was the night. We pretty much took ourselves by surprise. It was the only way. We told the sweetie that he was a big boy now and had all those beautiful teeth. We didn't want the ba to make his teeth pokey outey and give him boo boos in his mouth. He was like unh-unh. Then, I got the idea to tell him we'd give it to baby Cooper. Josie was distraught when I said that. She says, "I don't want Cooper to get bad teeth and boo boos!" My quick thinking self said, "Girl, Coop won't get bad teeth or boo boos because he ain't got no teeth!" She was happy with that. We then drove to Coopers and Jake gave him his 2 ba's.


It was so sad. He didn't cry or anything. He didn't even cry when he went to bed tonight. He just told me "Ba Jake boo boo mouth" and I said yay (that's how Jake says his yes). We'll just see how tonight goes. I do pray he understands and doesn't even ask about his best friend ba.
I do love me some Jake Jake!!! I'm very proud of him.


This an oldie but a goodie. It's from Christmas time last year. He's got his teddy, blankie and ba.
*** Last night was a very hard night. It didn't start until the middle of the night. He really wants his ba. This morning's nap has been pretty tough, too. He'll have none of this nap business. Oh well. We gave it to him as a newborn. Time to suffer the consequences, I suppose! ***

9 comments:

lori said...

Way to go JAKE!!!! I'll keep a ba at my house for him (J/K)

Nana Net said...

Lord child you sure do crack me up! :) Thanks for posting this, cause I sure did need a good laugh after the day I had today!

BTW, when I read the part about the nose and all. Well I could just hear your voice saying for them to wipe that childs nose! LOL

And "Hooray, for Jake!"

Love you all!

The Cannon Chronicles said...

Jake's such a big boy. He's going to do great! Just hang in there it will get better soon! Coop just loves his new paci's! hehehe

Deborah said...

You crack me UP with your blogs! Hang in there...it WILL get better. As the baby whisperer (yes, i have myself the baby whisperer book! crazy huh?) says, routine, routine, routine. He WILL get used to another routine without his ba!! just takes time to break the old one! Good luck!

The Russ Family said...

Poor Jake ....had to give up his ba! Better stick to it. It will get better after a few nights.
Drew never wanted a pacifier. I kept trying to cram it in his mouth when he was real little, but he just didn't want it.

Denise said...

It finally came huh? The day to take away the pacie. I took Parker's away for 2 whole weeks and then gave it back to him. I couldn't take it anymore. That was when he was about 21 months or so. Then we tried again at 2. He did better the second time around. Maybe tonight will be easier for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Denise said...

BTW - your blog title sounds like an N'sync song. ha ha.

Christy said...

You are so funny! I always know when you have written something new its gonna be hilarious!
I agree with the others, routine, I know its hard but he will get used to it I promise...trust me I have had to breat alot of habits with mine!!!
Good luck girly!

Cyndi said...

Good for you and Jakers. It will be tough, but each nap and night will get better. If you go back on it, it will probably be that much harder later. All kids are different, but for mine, consistency is key! (: