Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happily Ever After!

Today is our 8th anniversary. I know that, well because I do, but also because whatever year it is that's how long Joey and I have been married....2008, 8 years, 2009, 9 years, you get it! Anyway, for those who don't know our sweet story...here goes. Joey and I got our start from Tymon. Well, let me give Krista props. She tried to hook us up about a year before Tymon did, but it just wasn't time yet. I was a teacher, a woman, you know and he was, well he was just a boy! hee hee But, Tymon says, "Jeanne, I've got the perfect guy for you. He loves Jesus and everything!" I was like "Boy, who do you know that loves Jesus?" He says, "Joey McDonald" and I was like "What, little Joey McDonald" and he says "Yes!" I'll quit with the direct quotes. On with the story, we talked on the phone for a few weeks before we actually went on our first date. He was hunting...I was teaching....it was complicated :) Anyway, November 19, 1999 we went on our first date. He didn't tell me how beautiful I was or anything even remotely close to that. He just got us lost and had me laughing. I still remember what I was wearing. The first compliment he did give me was "Jeanne, people are so drawn to you." Oh, that REALLY meant so much to me. How kind? We were in a CVS buying candy in the line and he looks at me....I could tell from the look he was about to bust out with something heart melting....he says, "Jeanne, your eyes are so, so.............................red. Do you have allergies or something?" Oh, yes he did. True story. Not the usual your eyes are so blue, or so bright, or so pretty. No sirrey bob, I get so red! It's all funny now, though. Well, it was funny then, too. So after much talking on the phone and dating and getting groped by my daddy we got engaged (April 25th 2000). Let me explain the groping by my Daddy and why I knew if he could get through that he was a "keeper" My Daddy comes into the room where Joey, Boo, Angie and I are watching a movie. In walks my daddy who had had a few by that time. He sits down in front of Joey (like Joey is straddling him) grabs Joey's foot, pulls off his sock, gets hold of his big toe and starts wiggling it saying, "Now that's a keeper right there, Jeanne! That is a keeper!" That was one of those moments that I knew if Joey stuck around after that then he certainly was a keeper!!!!! We were married a short time later, very short time later. When ya know, ya know. We just knew. I remember telling God that night after our first date that I wanted him to give me Joey. I simply loved that boy. The wedding was beautiful. There was candy EVERYWHERE! My favorite food. All the people I loved were there. And of course I can't forget the humongous fever blister on my bottom lip that looked like some nation on a raised geographical map. Everyone was like, "Oh Jeanne, it's not THAT bad!" Puhlease, my honest nephew Austin who was 7 at the time comes up to me and says in his little redneck accent, "EEEWW Mee Mee, what's that on yer liiiiiiiip?" Over my face went the veil and down the aisle went my Daddy and me (he was stepping on my dress the entire way down) Sweet Lord, I so dearly miss that man! Out the church door my husband and I went to the song "You make me feel like dancing!" Somewhere in there Robbie gave us a hilarious ceremony! We drove off with our honeymoon package from Krista and Dave (Thank the good Lord Haysus for that) in our pink cavalier with oreos stuck all over it and a bra the size of a 2 person hammock attached to the front with the rain POURING down! My Joey fills me full of compliments now. It was and still is....happily ever after!

8 comments:

lori said...

Happy 8 blessed years to you both!
You guys are two of the best people I know, I love getting to witness this love story God has written for you. You are both blessed to have one another.

The Cannon Chronicles said...

I have never heard the allergy eyes story. That is so . . . funny! I'm so glad you & Joey have each other! Hearing the story of your Daddy grabbing Joey's toe just makes me miss your Daddy too! Joey fits your family like a glove and you have been so good for his family! A match made in heaven!

The Russ Family said...

I loved your story. Happy Anniversary. It is good to hear how everyone got together. I think I would have died if Brad said that about my eyes. Although he is definetly alot like that. Drew enjoyed his first official "play date" with Josie & Jake this morning and so did I. We'll plan the park day real soon.

Nana Net said...

Oh my, I love you both! And 'Happy Anniversary!" To think that God even blessed you both more by letting a new baby be born on your special day in our family makes it even more special! WOOHOO....
By the way I do remember meeting Joey the first time. Do you remember that day I met him? It was when you all cam up here for Duane's graduation! LOL I will never foret it! ROFL :) Aww wall to wall family members.
Lots and hugs and kisses coming your way.

Aunt Nana Net

Hannah said...

Such a sweet couple. You all have made such a wonderful family! I am so glad that you all are in our life! Love you all much!

Denise said...

That is too funny about the red eyes. Joey was smoother than Fabio with that one. And it's so great that he still makes you smile and laugh just like those dating days. Happy Anniversary to you both!

Samantha said...

I loved your story...and just how you told it too! You guys are perfect for each other, there's no doubt about that. I must have forgotten that you guys got engaged on our aniversary!! That's so cool!!! We are so connected girl, it's crazy!! Love you a whole bunch.....

Deborah said...

Sorry, I'm just now reading your story but awww...so sweet. I'm with Jennifer...I love hearing how everyone got together...and with Samantha...you couldn't have told it any better with your Haysus and other silly Jeanne-ism's! I also miss your daddy....speaking of groping...i remember some feeding of grapes i had to go through!!!