Tuesday, January 27, 2009

New York City "Take 5"




It's take 5 for me, but it's take 9 for my sister! Lord love that girl! She's had more surgeries in one year than any number people of should have in a lifetime.

I wasn't going this trip. I'd decided it was too cold (23 degrees was the high cold) and too long to be away from my family. Plus, Christy was having some extensive stuff done that required a 24 hour nurse be with her and something about a bag protruding from her face. This girl sure can't handle that kind of graphic surgery. But, my sister won! I couldn't tell her no. She needed me and I needed to see The Big Apple in the winter. This trip let me see all the seasons...Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall...all you have to do is call...and I'll be there! Good song! I think Christy has seen them 2 times around now! And the face bag was gone by the time I got there. She did have some crazy jock strap thing on her head, though. Man, we laughed till we cried over that mess.

I flew in by myself and the driver met me at the airport to take me to the New Yorker! I'm a 32 year old woman, but was still scared to death to fly by my lonesome and make it to the hotel without Mama and Christy to laugh with. What a big girl I turned out to be!

Our hotel is right smack in the middle of downtown Manhattan! We're only 2 blocks away from Macy's. There's a picture of the view from our balcony of the Empire State building. You'll notice the ball is still there from New Year's Eve in another picture. That was way cool to see! I couldn't get over how tiny that ball was, though. You can't see it from the hotel. We had to take a taxi to Times Square for it.

Like I said earlier it was freezing, below freezing. Nutso cold for a Florida native! Our room was really 2 rooms. There was the living room and down the hallway was the bedroom. The living room was nothing but windows and doors. These doors weren't weather proofed either. The curtains would be blowing from the wind outside. We put chairs in front of the doors and stuff to try to keep the cold out. Man alive I thought we'd freeze to death. NO joke, I had on 2 pair of socks, sweat pants, a hoodie shirt with the hoodie on, gloves and a big ole down comforter wrapped around me. That was the only way to survive. My mama never took her robe off. She'd put that thing on over whatever she was wearing and get bundled up!

The best part was when it snowed. I was flippin out! I've gone skiing before, but never actually watched snow come down. It was so pretty. I ran out there and wrote I love Joey in it! Brr, it makes me cold just thinking about being on the balcony.

Hopefully, this is it for New York for a while! We really think it's time for the beach. If everything goes well with this surgery, we'll be in Anna Maria Island this summer together! Kids too! :)
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Christy said...

That is so great that she is doing well and hopefully no more surgeries for a while! I love the pics and one day Ill get there to see it.
Im so glad you and your mom are in a place to go with her, that has to be the best part of the whole deal!
Thanks for my sweet comment you left the other day, I feel better and the job is going ok!

Deborah said...

I can't believe you flew to NY by yourself!!! You go girl! :) I'm with Christy...one of these days I am going to get to see The Big Apple. You are going to have to take me and Denise and be our tour guide since you're practically a NY native too! :) It's been a long time since I've seen snow falling...but I remember it was beautiful! i miss my skiing days! loved your pics, thanks for sharing!

lori said...

At least you still love New York even though you never get to go just for fun!

The Cannon Chronicles said...

I couldn't see the ball in the picture you're gonna have to point it out to me. I'm so proud of you flying all by yourself, I've only done that once and it is scary. I'm praying this trip does it for Christy, she deserves to be well after all those surgeries.

The Russ Family said...

You are just a regular New Yorker. I couldn't have flown by myself. After all the flying we have done, I still hate it and have to hold Brad's hand during take off. I have always wanted to be in NY with the snow. I have only experienced it in the summer and it was HOT!!

Glad you went and had a good time.

Leslie said...

Your travels make me jealous. I seem to stay put in Florida. Looks cold! I would have probably whined the whole time. Love the story about your hotel! Too funny.

Denise said...

I can't believe it was that cold in the hotel room. I can handle the cold when I'm doing something. But when I just want to relax, I want nothing to do with it. I'm glad you got to see snow fall. It is quite a sight! And I sure hope you come to Anna Maria while we're there. I'm counting down the days!

Nana Net said...

JP,
Love the pictures...But what about the one of your Mom? LOL Guess you are saving it for another blog.
Anyway, I too pray that this is the LAST surgery for my Christy. Lord knows she has been through enough!
I am so PROUD of you for flying by yourself and all. WAY TO GO! Plus i can just see you all there in NY having a blast and all each and every time you have been.
Well enough of my yaking. Take care and many blessings are flowing your way.
Love,
Aunt Nana Net

Oh yeah love those pictures!

The Light's, party of 4 said...

You are so blessed, girl! One day I will get my country boy to that city. I'm glad things went well for Christy. I saw her Sunday and Brailey came and gave me the biggest hug. That girl is a blessing straight from the Lord. She can turn anyone's day to joy.